Friday, September 18, 2009

Teens dating at home..is this "normal?"

Dear Laine,
My daughter is 17 and her boyfriend is 16 1/2. They are both good kids and I've never had any problems with their dating. The problem is they never actually 'date' outside of our home. They are always together, but they are here with my husband and me. They are never left alone in a bedroom or anything like that. We cook dinner together and play board games and sometimes watch a DVD. On the rare occasion they do go out, it is usually just to a movie or to grab a burger and then right back to our house.
My question is, IS THIS NORMAL?
My husband says it isn't, but since he knows where they are and what they're doing, he isn't worried. I'm just concerned they are hanging around with us to avoid being tempted to have sex.
What do YOU think?

Signed,
Concerned Mom of a Teen

Dear Concerned Mom,
Are you KIDDING ME? Your daughter actually WANTS to spend time with you playing games and watching television and you are worried it's to avoid having sex with her boyfriend? And you want to know what I think? OK..here it is:
BE HAPPY your child isn't doing everything under the sun to avoid spending time with you and your husband so that she CAN have sex with her boyfriend. Be HAPPY she has a boyfriend who, apparently anyway, enjoys being with her when all her clothes are still on her body! Be HAPPY they both have nothing to PROVE by getting pregnant before they are 18.
I say invest in some new board games. You don't want them getting bored with the ones you have. Use that time to talk to them about what is really important in a relationship--trust, respect, friendship--the things only TIME can foster properly.
Then count your blessings!!

That's my plugged nickel's worth on it,
Good luck!
Laine

No comments:

Post a Comment